Viofo A119 Mini 2 Specs
– Max. resolution: 1440p @ 60fps
– Released 2023
– Price: Amazon US / CA / UK – AliExpress – eBay US / AU – more countries & vendors (affiliate links)
– Bit rate: 30 Mbps
– Aperture: f/1.6
– 1.5″ screen
– GPS built into mount
– HDR Super Night Vision (at 30fps)
– 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi
– Size: 41mm x 46mm x 74mm (1.63 x 1.81 x 2.93 inches)
– Novatek NT96580 processor
– Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 sensor
– Angle of view: 140° diagonal
– Operating temperature: from -10°C to 65°C (14°F to 149°F)
– Storage temperature: from -20°C to 70°C (-4°F to 158°F)
– Video format: MP4 H.265
– Supports up to 512 GB MicroSD cards (over 36 hours recording at 30 Mbps)
– Time and date stamp on video
– Loop recording, auto on/off, G-Sensor
– Parking modes: Buffered, time-lapse, low bit rate
– Connectors: USB-C power cable (to the GPS mount)
– Lock file button
– Optional CPL filter
– Player software for Windows / Mac
– Apps for Android / iOS
– Internal capacitor instead of battery
– Internal microphone and speaker
– Voice control
– Adhesive GPS mount
– 12 months warranty (18 months if registered)
Viofo A119 Mini 2 Review
Small, discreet, and affordable: Mini dash cams are probably the most popular dash cams all around. While Viofo’s latest release is slightly on the expensive side at $140+, with this camera you can be sure to get your money’s worth.
The Mini 2’s design is Viofo’s typical wedge camera (and not only Viofo’s). This type of cameras has been around for a number of years, so do we really need to describe it again here?
In case you’re new to dash cams: Wedge cameras stick to the windshield with one of their sides, making them much more discreet compared to dash cameras that “hang on a mount”.
In this case, the camera attaches to its GPS mount (the black rectangle in the picture): The mount, in turn, sticks to the windshield.
You can easily detach the camera from the mount, so if you were to use it in several vehicles, you could just get several GPS mounts, install one in each car, and swap the camera around between them.
The A119 Mini 2 comes with a 1.5″ screen, below which there are 5 buttons that let you navigate the camera’s internal menus and adjust the settings. Of course, you can also operate it with a smart phone app.
A “lock file” button is conveniently set in a row of its own, and larger than the other ones. This makes it easier to find just reaching over to the camera, without taking your eyes of the road.
Viofo also have an external Bluetooth-driven button that you can place nearer to the steering wheel. While this is a good idea in principle, we’re not huge fans of having an extra Bluetooth device. If you have ever worked with Bluetooth, you know how fiddly and unreliable those can be.
A great feature of this camera is that it supports voice control, so instead of pressing a physical button you can just shout “lock video” at your dash cam and it will comply.
Using Sony’s new Starvis 2 sensor, the Mini 2 records noticeably better video than its predecessor (A119 Mini). At day, video quality is very good, with vivid colors and lots of detail. At night, video quality is good, however you may not be able to read all license plates of nearby cars.
Overall, we found the A119 Mini 2’s video quality to be on par with the cheaper (but older and larger) Viofo A119v3, as well as with the much more expensive Thinkware U1000 (single channel version). Very few cameras perform better. Have a look at our single-channel dash cam comparison table for an overview.
First of all, you need a HK4 hard wiring kit to operate the Mini 2 in parking mode. This is available separately for around $20.
There are 3 parking modes available:
- Buffered parking mode: Records continuously, and when a moving object is detected, saves a clip starting 15 seconds before and ending 30 seconds after the event. Recommended when parking in quiet areas where there’s not much movement to be expected.
- Time-laps parking mode: Records at a lower frame rate, without audio. Choose between 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10 fps.
- Low bit rate: Records with audio, but at reduced quality to save storage space.
The following extras are available to enhance the functionality of the dash cam:
- Hard-wiring kit (~$20): Enables parking mode (see above).
- CPL filter (~$10): Reduces reflections when driving in bright sunlight. Recommended.
- Remote Bluetooth button (~$15): Can be placed in convenient location to save video files, but also needs an extra battery and might potentially lose connectivity. We prefer voice commands, but your mileage may vary.
The user manual for this camera is 29 pages long. It is well written, with lots of pictograms. The manual thoroughly explains the Mini 2’s functionality, making it a breeze to set up and use even for dashcam newbies.
The Viofo Mini 2 is a welcome replacement for Viofo’s excellent A119 v3 camera, which was released in 2019 and is still available (and we still recommend it if you want to save some bucks). The A119 v3 can be considered a quality benchmark for dash cameras in the ~$100 price range.
Released in mid-2023, the Mini 2 is noticeably smaller than the A119 v3, and includes modern features like voice control, 5 GHZ Wi-Fi, and support for 512GB memory cards.
TL;DR: If you can afford to spend $100-$200 (depending on the extras you’ll be getting), the A119 Mini 2 is your best choice as of October 2023.
Viofo A119 Mini 2 Video Samples
For full original video quality, make sure to watch on full screen and select maximum video resolution (use the cog icon in lower right corner). You may have to rewind the video after changing the resolution.
Day Time Video Samples
Video quality at day is very good (4 stars out of 5). Colors are bright and vivid, weather permitting. Notice how clearly other cars’ license plates are visible, even when driving by or overtaking them.
Night Time Video Samples
At night, license plate readability is more hit-and-miss, even when pausing the video. Of course it is easier at slow speeds than when speeding by on a highway. Overall, the Mini 2’s night time video quality is good (3 stars out of 5).
Where To Buy
The Viofo A119 Mini 2 is available for sale from the following vendors:
Links to vendors are affiliate links. If you find this site useful, you can support us by buying through our affiliate links, at no extra cost to you.